We'll be talking about Charley quite a bit through the coming weeks and months. Rather than heaping on the hyperbole, I'm preferring to celebrate Patton's life and accomplishments with a smile...and with artist R. Crumb.
(click on each panel to blow up for your enjoyment...)












Hello sir - again I have to thank you for sharing delta awsomeness I was actually looking for this for some time since the only book I could find specifically about patton was some $100... I half remember reading that this comic was actually based on that book... and according to the reviewers it was written by an outspoken lunatic rather than a careful reseacher like mr crumb says
ReplyDeleteAnyway the comic was enjoyable and well drawn, however it all seems like a bunch of guess work from these people's imagination of way back when- I don't agree with his idea about people's attitudes and depth of intellegence- I mean really he portrays Charlie Patton as some sort of punk and just by listening to the complexity of some his songs you understand he was more than that
- For example my father's side of the family still live in conditions akin to old south (poor, hardworking, hard living under a hot sun) and in fact video footage of people like Sam Chatmon and Bukka White reminds me of my grandparents... or my uncle who's looked down upon because he's partial to heroin and likes to "fuss an' fight"
even so he's still a interesting and complex person, and you'd have to write a bit more than a few of pages to sum up his life and character... and he hasn't recorded a single song