Monday, December 27, 2010

Blue Monday: Collins @ Monterrey, '78

Those of you folks anywhere near the north-eastern U.S. hardly need any reminder of the blizzard that's frolicking about out there. It's been coming down for more than 24 hours now and there ain't a whole lot of point to be poking my head out of the cabin.

It seems more than appropriate to bring on the Iceman...

1978 would prove to be a key year for Collins, the year he would sign with the still-fledgling Alligator Records and not only rejuvenate his lagging career but also vault his career into his most successful period.

That September, Albert took the stage at the Monterrey Jazz Festival and delivered a short, if incendiary set. None of the material Collins covered at Monterrey that afternoon would be among the songs released that year on Ice Pickin'. It is an on-time dose of under-exposed Collins, backed by a tight band that includes the swinging, venerable A.C. Reed.


Albert Collins
Monterrey Jazz Festival
September 16, 1978


sbd @320/kbs

1. Somebody's Got to Go
2. I'm Ready
3. Instrumental/Collins intro
4. Have Mercy
5. Don't Lose Your Cool
6. Do What You Wanna Do
7. The Things I Used To Do
8. Frosty

Link


Peace, Mudcatz

6 comments:

  1. We had him play at The Red Creek Inn in Rochester, NY where I was a DJ/Soundman around this time. I have a recording I made then that a friend of mine remixed to disc for me...I'm just waiting to get it back. Perhaps I can send it along? It's been awhile since I've heard it, but as I remember it turned out pretty darn well. He was in top form back then no doubt! 200 foot cord up at the bar during a solo doing shots of whiskey with his right hand as his left hand worked the neck onb a guitar cranked to the max. The one thing I remember most was his song that Sly Stone pretty much stole the riff outright on the LP Stand...that one where Sly's voice is effected to death and the cut is about 11 minutes long...help an old man out here whose memory is getting rusty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Albert Collins years back. He was in Chicago to play a free lunchtime gig @ First National Plaza (now Exelon Plaza). I brought a couple of his LP's with me and talked my way onto his tour bus to get them signed. Next thing I knew, I was face to face with The Man...and promptly turned into a gushing fan. He shook my hand, offered me a pop and a seat, and just started talking to me like we'd known each other forever. "Which one of these albums do you like best" he asked me. "ALL OF THEM!" I blurted out, panicking. Albert just laughed. Memory is a tricky thing, and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then, but I recall him talking about how the money wasn't really important, and how if the fans were happy, that was all that really mattered. Pretty soon, it was time to jam.

    I was about 10 feet from Albert Collins and the Icebreakers, one of the baddest road-bands anywhere. After a couple of numbers, he headed out into the crown with is trademark 200-foot cord. Suddenly, I was air-guitaring with The Man. He smiled and answered me with a wicked snakebite riff from his Telecaster and moved back, going almost out into Monroe street before returning slowly to the stage. It was an awesome sight to behold, the entire plaza overflowing out into the streets with people dancing the way only Chicago blues fans can. Heck, even some of the cops were dancing! What was supposed to be an hour-long gig ran on into 2 hours before the police finally shut them down. It was an incredible thing to be there, and if you weren't, my poor words can't really do justice to it all, but it was heavy, and I will never forget it.

    And that's how I will always remember Albert Collins...a truly gifted bluesman who was able to part human seas with a snakebite riff, but wasn't overly impressed with himself and always had time for wide-eyed gushing fans. Thank you, Albert, and God rest you.


    .High*Ping*Drifter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! Frigging awesome recollections!! I'm jealous. Collins has always struck me as a class guy and an artist who was always receptive and appreciative of his audience.

    Air-guitaring with Collins! I love it!

    Duncan, I wish I could help you out with the Sly Stone tune, but I'm drawing a blank as well. I don't think I've ever owned "Stand." Sorry. It's very cool that you managed to record that show. And, yes, if you want to send a copy along I'd be delighted to give it a listen. (Uncirculated Collins? Oh, hell yes!) I think I can manage to rip & post it if that's what you'd like to see. My email's mudcatz(at)hotmail(dot)com. Give a holler.

    Thanks again, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a short PS here ... when Albert Collins signed with Alligator Records, at that time he was mixing paint in a hardware store and gigging on weekends. Unbelievable, eh?? I spoke with Bruce Iglauer, president of Alligator Records, just after Albert Collins death and got the best interview I ever got from anyone. Wish I could find it somewhere. If I do, I will send it to ya...

    .H*P*D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks Mudcatz! Just saw your current post and shoutout. I'm honored. As soon as I have the mix you'll get it. I recorded it in BINAURAL stereo..one line off the board and one line from a room mike at 30 feet away (in front of the DJ/Sound booth). When you listen it allows you to mix the two signals as you like it with a balance of room and board to your liking. I've turned a few other folks onto this method and received high praise for my efforts now 30+ year ago. Also in my archive are Hooker, Grapelli, Gatemouth, Mose Allison and a few others that escape my mind at the moment. I'll keep you posted and am looking forward to listening to the Collins after I download. Best New Year to you and Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Duncan! And a Happy New Year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete