Sunday, January 9, 2011

Having a Little Faith

There are times that A Little More Faith almost feels like a middle child, not catching quite the esteem of its older sibling nor the notice of the younger. Davis' 1961 sophomore release for Prestige/Bluesville, following the seminal and well-received Harlem Street Singer by less than a year, was the fledgling label's hopes that lightning would strike twice. It did--and would again, just months later when Davis' third Bluesville LP, Say No To the Devil was released. Bruce Eders, surveying Davis' work in his AllMusic reviews has by turns called A Little More Faith "magnificent," "priceless," and "triumphant." High praise indeed for an album that was all about praise.

As with its predecessor, A Little More Faith offers an even dozen spirituals. In modest contrast to Harlem Street Singer, this album's material strikes one as being more "traditional" in its readings, if only just so. As before, Rev. Gary blends mostly original songs with more standard church tunes, such as I'll Fly Away. He takes one aback almost immediately with his take on You Got to Move. For one more familiar with the near-foreboding tones of Mississippi Fred McDowell's version, this strikes one as purely upbeat and fun--for certainly Rev. Gary was having a ball (listen to him through the last minute of this song and he's doing more than getting into it, he's grinning ear to ear.) We find this running throughout this album, Gary enjoying himself and giving full praise to his Lord. We also find in another oft-covered spiritual blues, Motherless Children, some of Davis' more deeply emotive and affecting performances, reeling in his fluid playing and pushing his vocals forward, achieving something singularly bone-deep and heartfelt.

There is almost a more positive spirit at work here overall, exemplified through his readings of There's a Bright Side, I'm Glad I'm in that Number, and When I Die I'll Live Again. Like so much of Rev. Gary's work, it's infectious music that draws us in, draws in our smiles, and gets our toes to tapping. His guitar work is consistently a thing of beauty, perhaps more understated than his performances on Harlem Street Singer, but deceptively intricate and inventive.

The Reverend Gary Davis would record four albums for the Prestige label and they would release five, three on its Bluesville imprint and two more on Prestige-Folklore before they folded, late in '64. Of the two on the Folklore imprint, the first was a re-release of Harlem Street Singer, retitled Pure Religion!, the second a wholly-instrumental and delightful affair titled The Guitar and Banjo of Reverend Gary Davis. His three albums on the Bluesville imprint were composed entirely of spirituals. For this, arguably the most pivotal period of his career, Davis was enthusiastically received by a secular world on the strength of dazzling musicianship, raw, genuine emotion and infectious joy.

Peace, Mudcatz


Rev. Gary Davis
A Little More Faith

Prestige/Bluesville 1999


1. You Got To Move
2. Crucifixion
3. I'm Glad I'm In That Number
4. There's a Table Sitting in Heaven
5. Motherless Children
6. There's a Bright Side Somewhere
7. I'll Be Alright Someday
8. You Better Mind
9. A Little More Faith
10. I'll Fly Away
11. God's Gonna Separate
12. When I Die I'll Live Again

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment