Saturday, July 3, 2010

Sister Rosetta: Chicago, '70

It's the middle of the night and the lake is black as a coal bin, its waters striped by a quarter moon with shards of shattered silver two miles long. Moments ago, this deck sounded like Sister Rosetta Tharpe and life seemed about as perfect as it could be.

As it seems I've fallen into a "Sunday Spirituals" theme these last few weeks, I figured I couldn't break a good thematic run without giving some love to Sister Rosetta.


I have almost no information about this live set, beyond that it stems from an FM radio broadcast and was recorded in Chicago on November 8, 1970. Bare facts aside, the sound quality for this crackling performance is fantastic! A stroke would end Rosetta's career before the year was out. This set assures us that she wrapped things up on a strong point, with a lot of class and making a joyful noise.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Chicago IL
November 8, 1970


FM (@320)

01. That's All
02. Rain Song
03. Up Above My Head
04. Games People Play
05. Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen
06. Oh Happy Day

Link


Peace, Mudcatz

No comments:

Post a Comment